Source: Dennis Gasgonia, ABS-CBN News
MANILA, Philippines – Back when Manny Pacquiao was reportedly hounded by distractions outside of boxing, his opponent refused to take notice.
Mexico’s Antonio Margarito, who is looking for an “upset” against the “Fighter of the Decade”, said he merely continued training even after news of Pacquiao’s lack of focus on the fight reached him.
“I think those are all total excuses,” he said in Episode 3 of HBO documentary 24/7 Pacquiao-Margarito.
“That he's caught up in politics and isn't 100 percent in the gym, I don't believe that. I don't pay attention,” added the Tijuana Tornado.
Before Pacquiao achieved 100% conditioning just recently, reports were rife about the Filipino champ being less than his usual self weeks after he opened his training camp in Baguio City. (
Even his coach, Freddie Roach, admitted that he was frustrated with Pacquiao’s travels from Baguio City to Manila to attend to various commitments, including his job as Sarangani congressman.
“If that's how it is, that's his problem,” said Margarito.
But when Pacquiao transferred his camp to Los Angeles, supposedly to keep him from the distractions, the pound-for-pound king got into shape in 2 week’s time.
Margarito said he is all ready for the rumble at the Cowboys Stadium this coming Saturday (Sunday in Manila).
“We're just counting down the hours until I get in the ring… until it's fight time. The truth is, we're really good,” said the 5’11” Mexican.
Meanwhile, the 5’6” Pacquiao reiterated he will be banking on his speed to handle Margarito’s size.
He said he regained his quickness after shedding off the added weight he put on during the first phase of his training.
“My opponent is bigger than me. He's slow, he's not that fast. I'm faster than him. What we need here is the speed... we need to use that advantage properly,” said Pacquiao.
“He talks too much. Let's get it on,” he added with a smile.
0 comments