Source: ABS-CBN News
MANILA, Philippines – Mexico’s “Tijuana Tornado” Antonio Margarito is convinced that he can halt the 5-year winning streak of Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao in their fight on Saturday in Texas (Sunday in Manila).
“He’s an excellent fighter. He’s accomplished what no other fighter has been able to accomplish. He started off in a very low weight class and has been able to move up so much and still be as good as he was in the lighter divisions,” Margarito told Ricardo Conde of FightNews.com.
“Now I feel he’s moved up too much and his reign stops here, I’ve put a lot of work into getting myself prepared to beat Manny Pacquiao and I know we’ll be able to do that on the 13th,” he added.
Pacquiao last lost to Erik Morales via unanimous decision on March 19, 2005.
Margarito said he is banking on his training camp headed by Robert Garcia which he claimed was “excellent” and “perfect.”
“It’s been the best training camp I’ve ever had for all of my fights; this training camp was the best. The weight is exactly where it should be and it’s all because of the great work we did in the gym,” he stated.
“We’ve studied him and we learned a lot about Manny Pacquiao and I know with the preparation we’ve had we’ll be able to stop him,” the Mexican added.
Margarito and Pacquiao will clash for the vacant World Boxing Council (WBC) super welterweight belt at the Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
The Mexican fighter trained in Oxnard, California while the Filipino boxing sensation held training camps in Baguio City and Los Angeles, California. Both pugilists are in their final phase of training in Texas.
Good condition
Margarito, who has 38 wins (with 27 knockouts), 6 losses and 1 no contest, added that he is in very good condition.
“I feel perfect, in very good condition, the weight is good. Now we’re just waiting for the day of the fight to arrive. Sparring couldn’t have gone better, we’re just maintaining our weight and we’re ready to show the work we’ve put in the gym,” he said.
The Mexican also said that he is not aiming to outpace Pacquiao (51-3-2, with 38 KOs) on fight night.
“We all know that Manny is very fast and I know I can’t be as fast as he is but we’re not going in there trying to be the faster fighter. We’re going in there to neutralize his speed and stay on him every second of the fight.
Margarito’s won his last fight on May 8 against compatriot Roberto Garcia. He prevailed via unanimous decision.
Pacquiao also had the same result last March 13 when he defeated Ghanaian Joshua Clottey to clinch the World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title. The victory made him the world’s first 7-division world champion.
0 comments