Source: ABS-CBN News
-- Mexican boxing champion Juan Manuel Marquez has not given up hope that he will get a fourth bout against his great rival, Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao of the Philippines.
Pacquiao and Marquez have battled three times, with all three matches ending in controversy. Their latest bout, last November, was won by Pacquiao via majority decision.
But many boxing observers felt that Marquez should have won the last bout, as he once again gave Pacquiao great trouble thanks to his footwork and counterpunching.
"I considered retiring (after the third bout) because everybody knows I want to fight Manny again and that I won the last fight," Marquez admitted in an interview with the Los Angeles Daily News.
"I feel very angry about that decision," he added.
Instead of retiring, Marquez decided to instead pursue another world title, and he will fight Sergey Fedchenko next week for an interim junior welterweight belt. The Mexican boxer hopes that if he wins his upcoming bout, he will get another crack at his rival.
"The main reason for me to continue is that I want a rematch with Manny, and that is the main factor for me to come back," Marquez said.
"I think I won the last fight and I am looking for the rematch."
Although an immediate rematch against Pacquiao was briefly considered, it never came to fruition as the Filipino champion instead decided to fight American boxer Timothy Bradley Jr.
Even so, Top Rank chief executive officer and Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, complimented Marquez for his desire to continue boxing.
"Juan Manuel's wanting to continue is a sign of being a great fighter," Arum said, comparing Marquez to boxing legend Roberto Duran.
"Look at Duran, the second time he lost to (Sugar Ray) Leonard, he didn't just pack his bags and go away," he said.
Arum said Marquez impressed him with his professionalism.
"He is a smart man and he knows what it’s all about and he knows that complaining, once the judges render the decision, doesn’t change the result," Arum said. "So you pick yourself up and continue your career."
0 comments